There’s been a lot of pollen hauled in to both hives this week, so we wanted to open them up and see if anything was getting crowded, and if Thyme in particular needed an addition to their living quarters. As it happened, they did have six full frames of comb well drawn out, and several of them contained brood.
So I did expand their brood chamber. They had comb drawn (straight! yay!) on frames #2 through #7 of the eight in the box. So I took the two outboard ones, #2 and #7, and moved them up to position #4 and #5 of the second box. This is what some of the various people on various bee forums who also use foundationless frames recommend to help the girls draw out the second box as beautiful and straight as they have this one, so I figured it was worth a shot. There was no brood in those frames, so I wasn’t really “messing up” the nursery system in place.
Rosemary hive is still much smaller – five frames are begun, but many are still quite small. We did not see any capped brood on any of the frames here, but we did see a lot of open larva. So, both hives have a laying queen! We didn’t see either of them, but we know they are in there!
I did swap Rosemary’s entrance reducer around to give them a bigger space to bring in pollen and nectar. They haven’t had any trouble defending the hive so far, and I don’t want to slow them down any more.