First – the hubs made me some special storage in our outdoor “greenshed” (it’s a shed with a translucent roof and a lot of windows, so it works as a part-time greenhouse.)
I used paving base gravel and sand to get the stands as level as possible. Since I’m not using foundation, the bees only have gravity to help them draw out the comb straight, so the hives have to be completely level.
I only bought one hive stand – it was a little bit expensive so I thought I should see how I liked it before I spent too much. So Rosemary Hive is on cinderblocks for now, Thyme Hive is on the stand with a frame rest.
I made up a watering hole for them. I planted around the edges with chives, mint, lemon thyme, and oregano.